Staff Forum members

Staff Forum comprises of up to 22 Employee Representatives and 2 Employer Representatives covering 4 constituencies: Schools, Academic and Governance Services, Estates and Functions. We meet colleagues on a monthly basis.

JOIN STAFF FORUM

Interested in representing your colleagues and volunteering to make a difference? 

Request a nomination form

February 2019

There are vacancies in the following constituency areas:

• Estates (Grades: 1-5)
  • Campus Commerce (Grades: 1-5)
  • Academic & Governance Services (Grades: 1-5)
  • Academic Schools (Grades: 6+)

Applications will be reviewed on a monthly basis; where more applications are received than available vacancies, a vote will take place in accordance with our consultation & information agreement.

Employer Representatives

Sam Foley

Chief Financial Officer

Samantha Foley has a BA Joint Honours Degree in English Literature and American Studies and she is a chartered accountant fellow of CIPFA . Samantha was previously the Director of the Government Finance Academy, where she was responsible for the creation and leadership of a new Academy providing high quality learning, development and talent management to circa 14,000 government finance professionals. Prior to that, she was the CFO for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, and has held other senior finance leadership roles across Whitehall. She initially trained as an auditor with the National Audit Office.

As Chief Financial Officer at Reading, Samantha has responsibility for managing the University’s finances, investments and business support, together with the provision of other services such as commercial activities and procurement. She is also a key member of the University Executive Board, with a particular responsibility for staff engagement.

• Sam is a co-chair of the forum.

John Brady

Director of Human Resources

I am a member of the Staff Forum in my capacity as Director of Human Resources. Encouraging good and effective employee relations is one of my professional responsibilities and the Staff Forum is one very useful avenue for promoting this.

Employee Representatives

James Magee

Associate Director, Technical Services

I joined the Staff Forum in 2014 and knew it would become something special. Its success is wholly due to the commitment, genuine respect and engagement everyone brings. All Employer & Employee Representatives share a passion to improve working life at the University of Reading. That’s why I’m still volunteering.

• James is a co-chair of the forum.

Representing: Academic Schools

Steve Guest

Building Support Officer, Campus Services.

• Steve is a co-chair of the forum.

Representing: Estates

Dawn Turner

Executive Administration Manager, Meteorology; School of Mathematical & Physical Sciences; Faculty of Science.

I joined the Staff Forum in 2014 as an employee representative for colleagues on grades 1-5.  I wasn’t sure what to expect but soon realised that the senior management in the university were genuinely interested in getting feedback from employees across the university and receptive to the representatives’ input during consultation on policies and new projects.  I have thoroughly enjoyed being involved in various project groups since I joined and I feel that I have been able to make a real contribution in this way, as well as in supporting colleagues through difficult times.  Working in the wider university and understanding wider issues that affect all of us has been a valuable experience to me. I think that the University of Reading is a great place to work and I have been really encouraged by all of the thought and effort that colleagues at all levels put into maintaining and improving the working experience at Reading for everyone. I am really pleased that the SF was expanded earlier this year to include communication and support for people on G6+, as I think it is a great resource for everyone.

Representing: Academic Schools

Dawn Turner

Debby Livermore

Senior Service Desk Analyst, Information Technology.

Representing: University Functions

Debby Livermore

Alice Williams

Programme Administrator, Support Centre, Student Support Services & Operations.

Representing: University Functions

Alice Williams

Sharon Burton

Research Project Assistant, Geography & Environmental Science.

Representing: Academic Schools

Becky Kite

Programme Co-ordinator – MSc/DBA Research Degree Programmes. Henley Business School.

Representing: Academic Schools

Becky Kite

Nick Crouch

Executive Administration Officer, School of Humanities.

Representing: Estates & Facilities

Nick Crouch

Emma Marshall

Receptionist, School of Psychology & Clinical Language Sciences.

Representing: Academic Schools

Emma Marshall

Lisa Powles

Services team administrator, Health and Safety Services.

Representing: Academic and Governance Services

LisaPowles

Siân Walsh

Executive Administration Officer, School of the Built Environment.

Representing: Estates

I joined the Staff Forum in March 2018. I saw the advertisement on the Staff Portal and thought it would be a great opportunity to get more involved in the university community. I am keen to be involved in maintaining and improving the working experience for all colleagues. Joining the Forum has been a great way to meet colleagues from other departments and areas across the university. I have also learnt a lot more about what resources are available for staff on campus.

Sian Walsh

John Jack

Senior Studio and Workshop Technician, Technical Services.

Representing: University Functions

John Jack

Geoff Gardner

Preservation Manager, Collection Services.

I have worked at the University for well over 40 years now.  With this length of service I have witnessed many changes within the University and I have met, and know, a wide range of staff from different Schools and Functions across campus.

Being a Staff Forum representative, allows me to try and give something back to the University, offering any knowledge I may have gained and to use any managerial skills I’ve learnt over the years. It has been a real pleasure meeting other representatives, who also feel that they can contribute in some way to making the University a better place to work.

Geoff Gardener

Daniela Hotolean

Business Partner, Information Technology.

Representing:  University Functions

Daniela Hotolean

Denitza Triffanova

Programme Administrator, Pre-experience Postgraduate Programmes.

Representing: Academic Schools