This page provides help and guidance for administrative staff supporting Schools’ curriculum delivery in Blackboard.
Programmes Managers and Senior Programme Administrators in Support Centres are assigned certain admin roles in Blackboard for the School which they support, and these permissions can be extended to other staff on request.
Course and user management
Guides for staff with the ‘Senior Programme Administrator‘ and ‘Programme Administrator’ permissions:
- Managing Blackboard courses (Find courses and managing course settings)
- Managing Blackboard course enrolments
- Removing staff and students from Blackboard courses
- How to Batch Enrol users (with tips for identifying the correct courses in Blackboard, and copying data to Excel)
See also our staff user guides on the Getting Started page of the site e.g.
- Making a course available
- Customising a course menu
- Adding the ‘My Grades’ tool as a menu item to a course
Updating courses for the new academic year
Users and Groups
- Enrolling participants on your Course
- Course roles in Blackboard
- Changing the Role of a user on a Course
- Creating and managing Groups (link to the Blackboard Help site)
- Importing Group members from an Excel list
- Generate a class list from RISIS displaying student IT usernames
How and when are students enrolled on courses? For an explanation see this interactive model.
Access to Blackboard for non-UoR staff:
Assessment in Blackboard
See the EMA Help pages of this blog for guidance on
Supporting Students with Blackboard/Turnitin
This guide outlines how student-facing staff in the Support Centres can assist students with Blackboard and Turnitin queries; either by providing the answer directly, by giving advice, or by directing students to the relevant support available.
Blackboard Content Collection
The Blackboard Content Collection is a content management system which allows you to upload files to a central location, then make these accessible to students on multiple courses or organisations – updating the file in the Content Collection automatically updates the information visible to students on those courses and organisations.
Blackboard Portal Administration
School portal tabs have not been available since we moved to the Ultra Base Navigation in August 2021.
Key information for students in your School or Department should now be provided through a departmental Organisation.