Welcome to Learning Capture at Reading
Welcome to the first of our Learning Capture-themed blog posts. Over the coming months, we’ll keep you updated with project news and developments.
We’d like to start with an exciting update on the outcome of the procurement process, what the project team is currently working on, and provide further information on the project timeline.
YuJa – the University’s Learning Capture solution
We are happy to announce YuJa as the University’s procured Learning Capture solution.
We were particularly impressed by YuJa’s intuitive platform which allows for:
- Capturing and sharing videos from right within your Blackboard module.
- Personal capture for making screencasts and talking-head videos.
- Classroom capture (in centrally-owned rooms).
- Easy-to-use browser-based video editor
- Straight-forward video sharing with people outside your module.
- Easily-editable auto-captions and downloadable transcripts
We’ve created a short video to give you a sneak preview of the YuJa system. This is just a taste of some of the main functionality – don’t worry, full training and support will be provided.
What have the project team been working on?
Since the Learning Capture project restarted in January 2021, the project team have been working on a range of different priorities:
? The procurement process and awarding of the contract for the University’s Learning Capture system to YuJa.
? Lecture Capture Microphones have now been installed in 90% of the central rooms in scope for the project. The final 10% will be completed over the autumn term. Once installed, all mics will need to be configured and adjusted for each room.
? Contributed to the new Policy for the Recording and Digital Delivery of Teaching in 2021/22 which includes key updates for the 2021/22 Teaching and Learning Framework (requires log-in).
Learning Capture Project Timeline
The following timeline shows where these activities fit within the project and what’s planned for the year ahead. The dates shown are for general guidance and information and are subject to change.
What is coming up next?
January – August 2022 – Learning Capture Soft Launch
- YuJa will be available for staff to use for both Personal Capture (e.g. making talking-head videos and screencasts) and Lecture Capture in centrally-bookable rooms on the Whiteknights and London Road campuses.
- This period is an opportunity to get to know the new system and experiment with creating, editing and sharing videos.
- If you would like to continue using your existing method for creating your videos during the 2021/22 academic year, that is fine.
From 2022/23 academic year – Fully-supported roll out
- From September 2022, YuJa will be the University’s solution for creating and sharing audio-visual teaching and learning content.
- Lecture capture will be fully rolled out in centrally-bookable rooms at Whiteknights and London Road.
- You’ll have access to a range of guidance and training to support your use of YuJa.
- Stream integration will no longer be created for new students.
We’d be keen to hear from colleagues who would like to feed into the work of the project team by being a Learning Capture Champion. You’ll have the opportunity to dive into the YuJa system early, and use your experience to help shape the development and delivery of project training and support.
The selection of Champions will be based on range of experience and ensuring representation from across the University. While initial Champion places are limited, we intend to grow the Learning Capture community as resources permit and the project progresses.
More information as well as details on how to apply is available on our Learning Capture Champions page
If you’d like to be notified when we post further Learning capture updates, please subscribe to the TEL blog using the following form:
Subscribe to TEL Blog via Email
For questions about Learning Capture, please email firstname.lastname@example.org