A project is underway to implement the transition from Blackboard Learn (our Virtual Learning Environment) to the improved version: Blackboard Learn Ultra. It retains aspects that you are familiar with but has a more usable and intuitive interface, and introduces new features and functionality. The project will run until September 2024. Organisation spaces will use Ultra from September 2023 and all Courses (modules) will use Ultra for the start of the 2024/25 academic year. This page provides information about the project – updates will be added as the project progresses.
What is Blackboard Learn Ultra?
For information on what and who is involved, and the rationale for this work and its timing, please see: Blackboard Learn Ultra – an improved version of Blackboard Learn.
The Blackboard Learn Ultra project timeline is aligned with the implementation of the Portfolio Review Pathway (PRP). This means that when you are producing your modules ready to be taught in 2024/25, you can also consider the new features and options in Blackboard Learn Ultra. The plan is for:
- the start of academic year 2023/24: All Blackboard Organisations (for supporting learning beyond a module) will be using Blackboard Learn Ultra.
- the start of academic year 2024/25: Blackboard Courses (for all modules) will be using Blackboard Learn Ultra to correspond with when the new PRP-redesigned modules will start being taught.
We’re currently reviewing applications from colleagues across the university to become Ultra Project Champions who will:
- Discuss, engage with and inform the implementation and ongoing adoption of Blackboard Learn Ultra at the University
- Trial, critique, and feed back on the set-up and availability of new and existing features
- Network with colleagues who wish to learn more about Blackboard Learn Ultra
The focus of the Champions Community is to provide a forum to share experiences and ideas around Blackboard Learn Ultra and an opportunity to engage with new and existing features.
Please see the Blackboard Learn Ultra Project Champions page for further information about the role.
Further information about the timeline and what this means for you will follow over the next few months. We will keep T&L colleagues and students updated with regular communications and this page will be amended with project updates.
A comprehensive programme of staff development including demonstrations, guidance and training will be available to support and enable you to take advantage of what Ultra has to offer.
Who do I contact?
If you have any questions about Blackboard Learn Ultra, please contact the project team via the DTS Self-Service Portal.
Find the latest updates, browse the Blackboard Learn Ultra Project category on the TEL Blog. To receive direct email updates about all TEL news, subscribe to the TEL Blog.