If your similarity report is not available, it is either because:
Not enabled for you to see
The assignment may have been set up to either not show the similarity report to you or not to generate a report. Check the assignment information or ask your lecturer if you think you should be able to see a similarity report.
Re-submitted work – wait 24 hours to see similarity report
The Similarity Report for an assignment is usually produced within a few minutes the first time you submit.
After this, when you re-submit your work to the same assignment
- it will overwrite your previous submission
- there may be a delay in generating a new similarity report
You are allowed three resubmission attempts where the Similarity Report will generate immediately.
After three attempts, you’ll have to wait 24 hours before a new Similarity Report can be generated.
In this situation, you can still resubmit your work, but you won’t see a new similarity report until 24 hours has elapsed.
So if you want to see a revised similarity report, and have time to act on anything it shows, make sure you re-submit your work at least 24 hours before the assignment deadline.
Reasons for delayed generation of similarity reports
Similarity reports in Turnitin are usually generated within a 10-15 minutes when you make your first submission to an assignment point (but there are exceptions).
- Where re-submissions are allowed to the same assignment point, if you have made more than three resubmissions, it will take a full 24 hours for the generation of a revised report to be displayed (as described above).
- The length of the paper. Long papers (e.g. several hundred pages) can take up to 24 hours to generate.
- Busy periods on Turnitin. If lots of papers are being submitted to the system, the generation of the reports can take up to 24 hours.
If you have waited a full 24 hours and you still see the Pending message, please contact your Support Centre who may need to check on the status of your submission.