If your similarity report is not available, it is either because:
Not enabled for you to see
The assignment may have been set up to either not show the similarity report to you or not to generate a report. Check the assignment information or ask your lecturer if you think you should be able to see a similarity report.
Re-submitted work – wait 24 hours to see similarity report
The Similarity Report for an assignment is usually produced within a few minutes the first time you submit.
After this, when you re-submit your work to the same assignment
- it will overwrite your previous submission
- there may be a delay in generating a new similarity report
You are allowed three resubmission attempts where the Similarity Report will generate immediately.
After three attempts, you’ll have to wait 24 hours before a new Similarity Report can be generated.
In this situation, you can still resubmit your work, but you won’t see a new similarity report until 24 hours has elapsed.
So if you want to see a revised similarity report, and have time to act on anything it shows, make sure you re-submit your work at least 24 hours before the assignment deadline.
Reasons for delayed generation of similarity reports
Similarity reports in Turnitin are usually generated within a 10-15 minutes when you make your first submission to an assignment point (but there are exceptions).
- Where re-submissions are allowed to the same assignment point, if you have made more than three resubmissions, it will take a full 24 hours for the generation of a revised report to be displayed (as described above).
- The length of the paper. Long papers (e.g. several hundred pages) can take up to 24 hours to generate.
- Busy periods on Turnitin. If lots of papers are being submitted to the system, the generation of the reports can take up to 24 hours.
If you have waited a full 24 hours and you still see the Pending message, please contact your Support Centre who may need to check on the status of your submission.This Guide was Last Updated on: