There are two main tools which lecturers can use to let you submit assignment work electronically in Blackboard.
- Blackboard Assignment tool
- Turnitin Assignment tool
You may use both tools for different assignment submissions during your studies. You can tell the assignment tools apart by the different icons.
Both tools work in a similar way but there are some differences:
- Turnitin – Produces a ‘Similarity Report‘ that you and your tutors can use to check you have correctly cited your sources.
- Turnitin – You can only submit a submit a single file.
- Turnitin – Overwrites your previous file if you need to re-submit before the deadline (where re-submission has been allowed).
- Blackboard Assignment – Each submission ‘Attempt‘ made before the deadline is stored and can be seen by your lecturer (where more than one attempt has been allowed).
- Blackboard Assignment – Allows you to submit multiple files in the same ‘Attempt‘.
Please note that work you submit via a standard Blackboard Assignment may also be separately submitted to Turnitin by your lecturer to produce a Similarity Report.
Where to start
- Find out which of the two tools you are using to submit your work for your assignment.
- Read the appropriate preparation checklist:
- Read the Online Submission Protocols found on Essentials
And then look at how to submit your work (and access your feedback online).