Note: Blackboard provides the central hub for teaching and learning, Teams is supplementary to Blackboard.
For guidance about appropriate use of Teams with students, see using Teams for Teaching and Learning.
When requesting a Team for use with students, it is recommended that staff remain the Team owner (in most cases).
Upon receiving a new Team, owners should:
- Add multiple staff owners, if there is only one.
- Manage Team settings and permissions; to check and customise student membership permissions, and prevent students from deleting or renaming channels or the Team name.
- Create channels within the Team for students to collaborate on topics or in groups
- Display a link in Blackboard for students to access the Team.
Types of Team
There are two types of Team available for use with students.
Note: a standard Team provides greatest flexibility, for reasons outlined below.
1. standard Team
When using a standard Team with students, you can manually add members to a Team by inputting individual email addresses or Outlook groups. Anyone with or without a University email account can be added. Team owners are responsible for enrolling Team users.
2. Blackboard linked Team (auto enrol students from a single module)
If using a Blackboard linked Team, you can auto enrol users from a single Blackboard module. The Blackboard module Stream Group will be used to perform the integration of the module enrolments. This will ensure membership of the Team matches enrolments on the Blackboard module, inclusive of all course roles: Instructor, TA With Stream and Course Builder will become Team owners, student roles will become Team members.
- A Blackboard linked Team cannot be created retrospectively, DTS can only action this for new Team requests.
- Only one Blackboard module can be linked to a Team. It is not possible to link several Blackboard modules to a Team.
- The Team will take the name of the Blackboard module and must not be renamed (doing so will change the name of corresponding Stream group, which can cause confusion when assigning video sharing permissions).
- It is not possible to change membership status or delete users from the Team, any changes will be overwritten by Blackboard enrolment status (i.e. Instructor, TA With Stream and Course Builder can only be Team owners, not members).
- It is not possible to add additional Team owners and members from within the Team, these additional users must be enrolled on the linked Blackboard module. It is not possible to add external UoR guests to a Blackboard linked Team.
- Where multiple staff roles exist on a Blackboard module, all will automatically become Team owners. The module convenor should inform them of the new Team linked to the Blackboard course, and remind staff not to delete or rename it. It may be useful for inactive Blackboard users to ‘Hide ’ the Team to avoid unwanted notifications, whilst also retaining access to the Team and Blackboard course.