- This event has passed.
Dr Victoria Pile – Working with mental imagery in CBT and other psychotherapies. Online event.
Emotional mental imagery is a powerful part of our mental landscape. Given its capacity to depict, process, and generate emotional events, mental imagery can have an important role in psychological therapies. Using psychological techniques to work with mental imagery – including distressing past images or a lack of positive future imagery – can be highly effective. Yet, techniques using mental imagery are often neglected in routine practice, in favour of verbally based techniques. This might be for several reasons, including concerns that mental imagery can be highly distressing for the client or lack of confidence in using imagery-based techniques.
This workshop will provide an introduction to working with mental imagery in CBT and other psychotherapies. It aims to increase understanding of when and how to explore mental imagery with clients. There will be opportunities to formulate the role of imagery in client’s presenting difficulties as well as practice imagery-based techniques, for example imagery rescripting.
The workshop will consist of two parts. The initial part of the day will focus on increasing participants knowledge and understanding of emotional mental imagery and how it has been used therapeutically. This will include exploration of the evidence base and insights from people with lived experience. The second part will involve learning and practicing principal therapeutic techniques to formulate and work with mental imagery. This will include drawing on participants clinical and personal experiences to
understand when and how mental imagery interventions could be helpful.
It will demonstrate the following skills:
• Define emotional mental imagery and consider the importance of addressing mental imagery in treatments
• Understand the range of imagery-based intervention techniques available and the relative promise of using these techniques in treatments (or as standalone interventions)
• Be able to produce a micro-formulation of a problematic image
• Identify when metacognitive techniques might be helpful and be able to deliver them
• Be able to understand when to consider imagery rescripting and be able to deliver imagery rescripting
• Appreciate the role of positive future imagery and techniques to enhance future imagery
Book Here More Information
This workshop will run from 10:00 am until 4.00 pm, with a 45- minute break for lunch, at a cost of £75.
Group bookings of 4 workshops or more will receive a 10% discount (£67.50 per session), and 10 workshops or more will receive a 15% discount (£63.75 per session)*.
University of Reading Students (current and graduate) will receive a 20% discount upon verification of a valid student number. Please contact email@example.com in the first instance with your student number and for further instructions.
*Please note: The online store accepts card & PayPal payment ONLY. If you wish to pay via another method or make multiple bookings to benefit from the discount, please email the CWI Team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Events will be delivered online, for which delegates will be sent a link for joining. No previous experience of any tool or specific software is required (although we do recommend that you access the event using a connection with good bandwidth).
Taught by leading experts, our workshops provide training opportunities in evidence-based treatments. All of our courses are accredited and are BABCP compliant providing 5 CPD hours, with an approximate 50/50 split between theory and skills. The cost of the workshop includes an electronic CPD certificate. All workshops, unless otherwise stated, are intended for a cross/mixed ability audience.
We also offer a range of training options in all psychological treatments, all of which are recommended by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).
Cancellations & Terms (Online workshops)
- Delegates will receive a full refund if notification of cancellation is received more than one calendar month prior to the event.
- If notification is received between 1 calendar month and 2 weeks prior to the event we will offer a refund of 50%.
- No refund will be offered if notification is received 14 days or less before the event.
- Places can be transferred to other delegates, with prior agreement, provided that payment has been received, and no later than 3 days before the event.
- Cancellations must have been received in writing/email and acknowledged by the Institute, to qualify for any refunds that may be eligible.
We will be adding new events for an ongoing basis so please check the website regularly. If you would prefer to be notified, please ask to be added to our mailing list at email@example.com.