- This event has passed.
Professor Kate Davidson – CBT for Personality Disorder. Online event.
People with borderline personality disorder (BPD) are frequently referred to health services with high levels of emotional distress, self-harm behaviours and relationship difficulties. People with these problems have poor health and mental health and are disadvantaged occupationally and socially. Over the past two decades, psychological therapies have been found to be helpful with problems faced by those with BPD. Pharmacological therapies on the other hand are generally not recommended.
Psychological therapies have differed in intensity, length of treatment and in complexity of theory and techniques. CBTpd is a brief effective evidence-based therapy for people with both borderline and antisocial personality disorder. CBTpd takes a developmental perspective, engaging the person in producing a narrative formulation of their unique circumstances and problems. Treatment techniques focus on emotional and behavioural regulation, usually in the context of interpersonal relationships. Developing a non-judgmental, authentic and warm therapeutic relationship is central in CBTpd.
The workshop will be in two parts. The initial part of the day will focus on increasing participant’s knowledge and understanding of borderline and antisocial personality disorders. Key issues and problems in carrying out therapy will be discussed. The second part will involve taking a developmental perspective to produce a narrative, in-depth formulation. Participants will devise ways to regulate emotions using their clinical and personal experience and consider behavioural experiments to improve relationships.
It will demonstrate the following skills:
• To take a developmental CBT narrative bespoke formulation for patients with borderline PD
• To engage patients with borderline or antisocial PD in therapy
• To be aware of the therapist behaviours that increase hypervigilance for sign of rejection and humiliation in patients
• To work with patient to reduce self-harm
• To work with patients to regulate emotions.
Book Here More Information
This workshop will run from 10:00 am until 4.00 pm, with a 45- minute break for lunch, at a cost of £75.
Group bookings of 4 workshops or more will receive a 10% discount (£67.50 per session), and 10 workshops or more will receive a 15% discount (£63.75 per session)*.
University of Reading Students (current and graduate) will receive a 20% discount upon verification of a valid student number. Please contact email@example.com in the first instance with your student number and for further instructions.
*Please note: The online store accepts card & PayPal payment ONLY. If you wish to pay via another method or make multiple bookings to benefit from the discount, please email the CWI Team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Events will be delivered online, for which delegates will be sent a link for joining. No previous experience of any tool or specific software is required (although we do recommend that you access the event using a connection with good bandwidth).
Taught by leading experts, our workshops provide training opportunities in evidence-based treatments. All of our courses are accredited and are BABCP compliant providing 5 CPD hours, with an approximate 50/50 split between theory and skills. The cost of the workshop includes an electronic CPD certificate. All workshops, unless otherwise stated, are intended for a cross/mixed ability audience.
We also offer a range of training options in all psychological treatments, all of which are recommended by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).
Cancellations & Terms (Online workshops)
- Delegates will receive a full refund if notification of cancellation is received more than one calendar month prior to the event.
- If notification is received between 1 calendar month and 2 weeks prior to the event we will offer a refund of 50%.
- No refund will be offered if notification is received 14 days or less before the event.
- Places can be transferred to other delegates, with prior agreement, provided that payment has been received, and no later than 3 days before the event.
- Cancellations must have been received in writing/email and acknowledged by the Institute, to qualify for any refunds that may be eligible.
We will be adding new events for an ongoing basis so please check the website regularly. If you would prefer to be notified, please ask to be added to our mailing list at email@example.com.