Engage in Curriculum Review
Academic leadership is required to initiate and sustain the collaborative process of reviewing your curriculum in light of the Curriculum Framework. This website is aimed at helping the following staff involved in the process:
Heads of School (HoS) and School Directors of Teaching and Learning (SDTLs) who have a critical role to play in leading and sponsoring curriculum review. Curriculum Framework (CF) Leads and Programme Directors who have a critical role to play in leading and 'owning' curriculum review on a day-to-day basis. This website aims to provide:
- Answers to the most frequently asked questions relating to curriculum review.
- Specific guidance for HoS and SDTLs.
- Specific guidance for CF Leads and Programme Directors.
- A suggested process for curriculum review and enhancement.
- A diagnostic questionnaire for the CF Review team which will help them to interrogate their programmes and prioritise first steps.
- Further support and resources for curriculum review.
While curriculum review is not a project in the traditional sense, good project management can be helpful in planning, communicating, sustaining and evaluating the impact of your review and any subsequent enhancements. This guidance therefore draws on project management strategies, lessons learnt during Curriculum Framework pilots in four schools at the University of Reading during 2016, and models for leading change.
This website is not intended to be a prescriptive, definitive or exhaustive guide to curriculum review. However, we hope it will be valuable in helping you reflect on your role in leading the review, and that you will find some of the guidance useful to adapt for your own context.