What is a YuJa channel?
YuJa channels are the main way of organising content for a specific Blackboard course.
A channel is not a folder, but a way of assigning appropriate permissions in YuJa for the staff and students on a Blackboard course (similar to a course group in Stream).
Those permissions will be updated as membership of the Blackboard course changes.
Channels are not set up automatically, but any Instructor, TA or Course Builder on a Blackboard course can very easily create one.
- All members of the Blackboard course can access any videos published to this channel (unless other restrictions are applied, for instance Display to/from dates on individual videos).
- Instructors, Teaching Assistants and Course Builders on the course have the ability to publish videos to the channel, and to edit permissions on videos already published to the channel.
Creating a Channel
Before publishing any content to the Channel for your Blackboard course, you need to create the YuJa Channel for that Blackboard course.
Blackboard courses for 2022/23 RISIS modules
All Blackboard courses for 2022/23 have a YuJa area added to the menu. This content area contains a link to YuJa.
Click on this link to open your My Media area in YuJa, and activate the Channel for this course. Once you have done that, you will be able to Publish videos to the course Channel.
- Go to your Blackboard course and add a YuJa link to the course menu.
- Click on the + icon at the top of the menu.
- Then click on Tool link.
- Enter an appropriate name, and select Yuja Video from the dropdown list.
- You should leave this as unavailable to students, so that it is only visible to staff on the course, until such time as you want students to be able to view the area.
- Press Submit to add the YuJa link to the course menu.
- Click on the link to open YuJa.
- A YuJa Channel for the course is now created.
Adding videos to a Channel
Any video content you create in or upload to YuJa will be stored in ‘My Media’.
When you publish a video to a channel you don’t actually move the video, you just assign permissions for the associated course.
To publish a video
- Hover over the thumbnail for that video and select Publish.
- Then, from the list of courses displayed, click to select the channel(s) to which the video should be published.
- Once the correct course is listed under ‘Selected Channels’, press Select.
- A success message will be displayed.
You can also drag a video from My Media onto a Channel and it will be published to that channel.
Publishing content as you upload it
You can also Publish to a channel at the same time as you upload content.
Please be aware that you should only do this if you happy for students to be able to see the content immediately. If you want to make edits to a video after recording (for instance if you recorded a live session) then you should make the edits before publishing to a channel.
Recording in the YuJa desktop app
In the desktop app, before you start recording you can select one or more course channels to which your recording should be published.
Click on the Share icon.
Then highlight the required channel and press Select.
Please note – you need to have created the Channel already (see ‘Creating a Channel’ above).
- Creating a Recording with the Software Capture for PC Application
- Creating a New Recording with the Software Capture for Apple Application
Uploading media files created outside YuJa
You can upload one or more media files, and publish those files to a Channel at the same time.
Please note : you must select the desired Channel(s) before selecting the media to upload.
Click Publish to open a list of Channels where you have editing rights.
Click the desired Chanel(s), then press Select.
Recording in the YuJa browser tool
When using the Browser to record, you will have to record the video, upload it to ‘My Content’, and then publish to your course channel as required.
Publishing multiple videos at once
You can select multiple videos to publish to a Channel.
And you can also bulk publish from one Channel to another (for instance when preparing for the next academic year).
Removing videos from a Channel
See the YuJa article Unpublishing media from media channels