*Please note: this is a dynamic page and will updated periodically.
As part of our Ultra Quick Start Guide, we have designed a simple 4-phased approach during 2023/24 to get you going with your Ultra Course and ready to teach with it in September 2024. These phases (Discover, Plan, Build, Teach) will help you: learn more about the new course design, understand best practice in setting up your course, and to start teaching with it.
This page has been designed to help you work through the 4 phases during 2023/24. Follow the steps in each phase to achieve the outcomes. There will be support available to you during all phases in the form of engagement activities, staff development, communications and guidance.
Our move to Blackboard Learn Ultra has been strategically timed to align with your programme and module redesign as part of the University’s Portfolio Review Pathway work. You will have a new empty Ultra Course in which to build your module(s).
DISCOVER (Sept-Dec 2023)
By completing the Discover phase, you will know:
- More about how Ultra Courses work and some of the new features of an Ultra Course.
- The rationale for moving to Ultra and the timing of this move.
- The support available to help you.
- How to keep up-to-date with what’s happening,
- Start by reading our Ultra project page to understand why and when we are moving to Ultra.
- Attend a 30-minute Blackboard Ultra Roadshow to find out what’s happening and ask questions. Book to attend on UoR Learn.
- Read the Ultra Course Tour Guide for an overview of the new layout and menus.
- Watch the short video walk-through to see how you can use an Ultra Course (video coming soon).
- Make sure you are up-to-date with the key Ultra communications and Ultra ‘Insights’ posts.
- If you have any questions, the Blackboard Learn Ultra FAQs page may have the answer.
- Start thinking about what you’ll need to consider when designing your Ultra Course. Will you need to work with colleagues who are also teaching on the module?
PLAN (Jan-April 2024)
By completing the Plan phase, you will have:
- Considered how you will use your Ultra Course in the delivery of your module, as part of your digitally enabled approach.
- Used an Ultra Practice Course to familiarise yourself with the features and functionality of an Ultra Course.
- Completed the appropriate training to help you build your Ultra Course ready for the start of 2024/25.
- Create an Ultra Practice Course to begin investigating what a Course offers you (available from January 2024).
- Select your preferred training options, book and add to your calendar (available from February 2024).
- Complete or attend your chosen training activities.
3. BUILD (April/May – August 2024)
By completing the Build phase, you will have:
- Used the course template to structure and build your Ultra Course ready for use in your teaching from September 2024.
- Design your course structure using the new course template and add content to your course
- Set up your learning activities in your Ultra course.
- Understand the assessment options in Ultra and design your assessments.
- Enhance engagement with your course and consider student communications.
- Ensure your course and its content are digitally accessible.
- If you need help, book to attend a TEL-supported course-building workshop.
4. TEACH (from September 2024)
By completing the steps in the Teach phase, you will have:
- Made your course available to your students and have communicated with them to explain how they will use it in their module.
- Used your Ultra course in delivering your module.
- Become familiar with the analytics available in your Ultra course and begun to use them to help you support your students.
- Make your Ultra course available to your students
- Tell your students about Ultra
- Communicate with your students to encourage engagement
- Mark assessed work in Ultra
- Use Ultra’s course analytics
If you have a question, our Frequently Asked Questions page might have the answer you’re looking for. If not, please raise your query via the DTS Self-Service Portal and someone will get back to you to help.