What is Learning Capture?
Learning Capture describes various forms of recorded teaching. It covers recordings of live and pre-recorded content.
The University learning capture system is provided by YuJa. The system includes:
Classroom Capture – recording of live teaching sessions, with students present, in learning capture-enabled rooms.
Personal Capture – for creation of pre-recorded content, such as a screencasts, talking heads, or demonstration videos.
YuJa’s software is a platform for recording, editing, storage, and sharing of video content. Recordings in the classroom will automatically be stored on your YuJa profile and the integration with Blackboard places them in a familiar environment for students to watch. When recording personal capture, you can choose to record using other software (Camtasia, PowerPoint) and upload to YuJa for storage and publishing on Blackboard.
Resources for staff
YuJa at Reading
- How do I use YuJa Learning Capture? TEL’s YuJa Help Pages cover getting started, editing, publishing, as well as advanced YuJa features.
- Which rooms at Reading are Learning Capture-enabled? Regularly updated as rooms are equipped.
Transition from Stream to YuJa
- Move from Stream to YuJa – Three steps to transferring your content to the new YuJa platform
- Reuse Video Content in 2022/23 – Identify which videos to move from Stream to YuJa
Training & Support
- What training is available to help me use Learning Capture?
- Policy for the Recording of Teaching & Learning Activities (Learning Capture)
- Copyright and Performance Rights – IMPS
- Data Protection and Learning Capture – Classroom privacy notice and recording retention schedules.
- Academic research on Learning Capture in Higher Education settings – TEL-curated TALIS list
Pedagogy & Classroom Capture
- Attendance and classroom capture: Will the availability of recordings affect student attendance?
- ‘This session will be recorded’ PowerPoint slide – Add to your teaching slides to tell students that recording is taking place. Available in Standard size (4:3) and Widescreen (16:9)
- Learning capture student intro slide – two slides for introducing students to classroom capture and a tips of getting the most of the tool. Available in Standard size (4:3) and Widescreen (16:9)
Resources for Students
- How to make the most of session recordings – Student guidance from Reading’s Study Advice team
- TEL Student Support – YuJa
- Student Policy for the Recording of Teaching and Learning Activities
- Need more help, or have a question? Raise a ticket so the right team can help you promptly.
Learning Capture FAQs
Help & Resources
Find the latest updates below, or browse the category in our blog. To receive direct email updates about all TEL projects, subscribe to the TEL blog.
Course Rollover 2021 and Microsoft Stream videos – guidance for staf...
Welcome to Learning Capture at Reading
Learning Capture Timeline
Microsoft Stream changes: T&L video content