Understanding Depression and Low Mood in Young People has been specifically created for parents of young people with depression and low mood, teachers and primary (or other) healthcare professionals who play a role in detecting mental health difficulties and offering appropriate support and guidance to young people. 

Depression in teenagers can be long-lasting and have wide-ranging effects. Identifying such difficulties early on and offering appropriate support is key in bringing about positive change for young people. However parents and professionals are not always aware of key signs and symptoms of depression or what to do when teenagers are faced with such difficulties. 

This course will help you to recognise low mood and depression in teens, understand CBT – an evidence based treatment, discover practical techniques to help support young people and, access sources of further advice. 

By the end of the five weeks, we hope that this free online course will help you to answer the following questions: 

• What affects mood in adolescence? What is ‘normal’ low mood and how does this differ from depression? 
  • What does depression in young people look like? What are some of the key signs and symptoms and when should I be concerned about my child or a young person I work with? 
  • How do I talk to a young person about what they are going through? What kinds of conversations are useful when trying to get the most appropriate help? 
  • What causes depression in young people and what impact might social media play? 
  • How can depression be treated in young people and what treatment is most effective? 
  • What kinds of environmental factors can impact on depression in young people and how can I help my child or a young person in my care to develop healthier habits? 
  • How can I best support my child/a young person in my care who is experiencing depression whilst also looking after myself too? 

FutureLearn  

FutureLearn is a digital social learning platform where participants can share their experiences, discuss ideas, and provide guidance for each other within the discussion areas. We hope the course will improve understanding of how to recognise depression and low mood in teenagers and learn how to help. Two student mentors will join the course discussions to help stimulate and guide participants through the five weeks.  Participants can learn in their own time, at their own pace, on any device with an internet connection. The course is 5 weeks, 3 hours study per week.  

Learners will have five weeks to complete the course content for free. They will also have the option to purchase a ‘FutureLearn upgrade’ which gives ongoing access to the course and a FutureLearn Certificate once they complete 90% of the content.  

The course facilitation period begins on Monday 18th April.  

Learners can watch the course trailer and sign up via the course description page here.