This guide relates to Blackboard Learn ULTRA
When will I need to enrol new users?
Students enrolled on a module in RISIS (the University’s student records system) will automatically be enrolled in the appropriate Blackboard course. This means that normally you should not need to manually add students to your courses in Blackboard – but please note this automatic process runs once a day (overnight) and at the start of the year can take up to 48 hours to complete.
Read more: How and when are students enrolled on courses?
There may be times when you may need to manually add users to your courses, usually when you want to add another member of staff to the course.
How do I enrol a user onto a course?
Enrolling users and managing their roles within Blackboard Ultra is a very simple process with only a handful of steps. You can use the links below to jump to each step in the process as necessary.
Checking Class Register
You can see a record of all Blackboard users enrolled on a course by clicking on “Class register”, which is found under the “Details and Actions” menu on the left-hand side of the page. If you are getting requests to enrol new users onto courses, it is worth checking the register to see if the person is already enrolled on the course.
Once you have opened the Class Register, you can switch between a grid or list layout by clicking the icons in the top left of the screen. You can also use filters to remove Instructors or Students from the list as necessary.
Enrolling course members
To enrol users onto a course:
- Click on the plus icon in the top right hand of the Class Register screen.
- A new window will appear, click “Enrol People”.
- A side-pane will open and you can use the search bar to find the person you want to enrol. You can use either their name or username to search for people.
- Once you find the person you want to enrol, click anywhere on their name to open the role drop-down menu.
- Select the desired role from the list available and click save at the bottom of the menu.
We do not recommend using the “Invite Students” function, as students should either be automatically enrolled by way of selecting the module on RISIS, or by being enrolled as a guest
Changing users roles
To change a users role within a course:
- Navigate to the Class Register screen and find their entry in the list.
- Click the three-dots icon at the right-hand side of the name card.
- A new window will appear, click “Edit member information”.
- A side-pane will open with a drop-down menu that you can use to review available roles. The users current role will be selected in the drop-down by default.
- Select a new role as appropriate but please note that you shouldn’t need to change a students role within a course.
- Click the “Account Information” tab to see additional information about the user such as their email address and student ID.
- Make sure you don’t un-tick the “Allow access to course” box as this will stop user from being able to open the course.
Support and Feedback
You will find answers to some technical queries by searching for YuJa in the Service Desk Knowledge Base.
If you need further assistance please feel free to raise a support ticket via the Self Service Portal.
To report a problem with this page, request alternative formats or to make suggestions please contact us.