You may decide to turn on Progress Tracking for your course. Progress Tracking allows students to keep track of which items they have viewed, giving them the option to “mark as read” any item they have opened.
It is also possible for instructors to see how many students have opened or marked as read each item.
- Turn on Progress Tracking
- Students’ view of Progress Tracking
- Instructors’ view of Progress Tracking data
It is simple to turn on Progress Tracking, just click on ‘Turn on’.
Students will be able to see if Progress Tracking is Turned on or off.
Students can use the Progress Tracking function to keep track of what they have already read and what they need to return to and complete.
When Progress Tracking is on they will see a Progress icon next to the items (Learning Modules, Folders, files etc.) in the Course Content.
- When an item has not been opened the Progress icon looks like an empty circle.
- An unopened item cannot be “marked as complete”.
- When the item has been opened the progress icon will show as a half filled circle.
- When opened the item can be “marked as complete”.
- Once an item has been marked as complete the progress icon will appear as a green circle with a green tick inside.
Folders will automatically marked as complete once all the material inside the Folder has been opened or submitted to. It is not possible to mark a Folder as complete if the material inside has not been opened.
Learning modules behave slightly differently from folders and items when Progress Tracking is turned on. Before a student enters a learning module they will see a ‘not started’ indicator.
Once content within the learning module has been accessed, a progress bar displays.
- A Folder or Learning Module with incomplete items cannot be marked as complete manually. They will mark as complete automatically when all the items contained within it have been marked as complete.
As an Instructor you can check the Student Progress for any item. Staff can use Student Progress to see which students have marked the items as complete.
In the three dots menu for the item select Student Progress.
NB* The progress data will be for that item and any contained within it. To get the most complete overview select Student Progress in the largest container i.e. the Learning Module.
Student Progress for Item
The Student Progress page for an item gives an overview of the student activity on the item it has some key features.
- Progress Summary bar gives a quick overview of the progress with a breakdown of the number of students who have Completed, Started or Unopened.
- Search function allows you to look up specific students.
- Filter will allow you to see the list as Unopened, Started or Completed.
- Completed students will have a date and time when the student marked the item as completed.
- Message button allows you to email students from this page.
When you click on a student’s name from the Gradebook or Class Register it will open the student’s page. The page gives data on the students marks and activity. Click on the Progress tab for information on Progress Tracking data for that specific student.
Page last updated on November 29, 2023 by taralehane