This article refers to a third party free/freemium tool. Please refer to University guidance for considerations when using third party apps for teaching and learning.
What is Mentimeter ?
Mentimeter is a quizzing/polling app, it may be referred to as a Student Response, Audience Response or Classroom Response System. You can use live polls, word clouds and open questions to get real-time input from students – regardless if your session is remote or on-campus. Some of the question types allow you to display a leader-board, this feature automatically calculates the points after each question, and displays the top ten teams in a colourful summary slide. After the final question, a summary slide will appear showing the overall winner!
This article relates to the ‘free’ version of Mentimeter. Here’s a short demo provided by teachertrainingvideos.com.
The University has approved use of the free version of Mentimeter for Teaching and Learning. If considering use, please note the terms and conditions summarised in this article.
- Free version, if registering with an ‘educational’ email address, do not register with university password.
- If requiring ‘paid’ version, contact your School’s DTS Business Relationship Manager.
- Online (browser-based, Chrome recommended) and App (Android, iOS)
- You can find support via advice and answers from the Mentimeter team
At time of writing, these features are available for ‘free’ account users. See ‘Free’ plan for updated, full list of current features available for free-licence.
Teacher paced or student paced. See guidance about Mentimeter voting pace.
Unlimited number of presentations
Unlimited audience participants
Two question types per presentation, these can take format of:
- Word cloud
- Multiple choice
- Open ended
Three *competition questions per presentation, these can take format of:
- Choose an answer from a list
- Type a short answer
*competition questions display a ‘leader-board’ result slide after the question.
- Simple interface
- Saves automatically to the cloud
Considerations and limitations:
Mentimeter personal data and privacy advice
- You need to create an account on the platform to design and host a Mentimeter. You will be asked to provide basic details such as name and email address.
- Do not use your University password when creating a Mentimeter account.
- Your students do not need to sign up to use Mentimeter. Do not use Mentimeter to gather personal data from students.
- Avoid sharing personally identifiable information via Mentimeter (other than valid email address required for registration).
- You are responsible for managing your free Mentimeter account, directly on the Mentimeter website via Mentimeter customer service team.
- Please note; the email address you provide may be used for password resets and marketing emails with relevant information about Mentimeter.
Mentimeter copyright information and liabilities
In the free account, Mentimeter reserve the right to anonymise your questions and use them to inspire other presenters.
When adding third party content (such as images or videos) you must follow guidance on making copyright law work for you in your University teaching (useful copyright FAQs can be found on the University IMPs webpages). When searching for useable third-party content, you may find suitable content via the university collections or free image sites such a Pixabay, Unsplash and unDraw (always check the usage terms).
Does Mentimeter meet accessibility standards?
Mentimeter provides recommendations for how to make sure everyone can contribute to your Mentimeter presentations.
Mentimeter is accessible in some ways:
- Menti is written in HTML. UI elements can be accessed directly with assistive technology. Standard HTML form controls and link elements are used
- All actions are keyboard operable
- Colour is never the only visual means of conveying information.
- Menti does not include any flashing elements.
- Menti can be navigated sequentially and focusable components receive focus in a meaningful order.
You can download the Mentimeter Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) for an overview of accessibility. If you’re unsure how to accommodate certain accessibility needs with Mentimeter please see their accessibility guidance and contact directly to help troubleshoot.