Discussions allow interaction within a course or organisation. Discussions can be created in a specific content area, or through the discussions tab where all discussions can be accessed.
In this article you will be able to see how to:
It is possible to create a Discussion in a few places in an Ultra course.
Click on the Discussions tab in the top Navigation bar, this will open the Discussion page that lists all Discussions on the course.
In the top right-hand corner there is a “New Discussion” button which will open the Create Discussion screen.
When created in the Discussion tab Discussions will appear at the bottom of the Course Content area.
If you wish to add discussions to specific content areas, you can create a discussion within content.
Click Create and select Discussion, this will open the Create Discussion screen.
When created via the plus sign menu on the Course Content the Discussion will appear at the point at which the plus sign was clicked.
In the Create a Discussion page add the name of your Discussion.
Add the content you wish to discuss – the initial prompts or questions you wish students to reply to.
Open the Discussion Settings using the Settings Cog in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
Please note the settings cog will only appear once you have given your Discussion a name.
Select the Settings you wish to apply to the discussion including:
- Display on Content Page – This can allow you to only link to the discussions through the Discussions Tab
- Post first – Students must reply to an initial post before being allowed to add their own threads to the discussion.
- Prevent Editing – This mean students have to keep their original messages and cannot edit or delete them.
- Mark Discussions – Discussions can be marked and be part of the over all module assessment.
If Mark Discussions is selected additional options will appear in the settings panel.
- Due Date
- Stop discussion activity after due date
- Mark category
- Mark using
- Maximum points
- Add Rubric
If you wish for the discussion to be split over groups, you can select to Assign to Groups.
Select or create the groups which will be used.
Groups have separate channels and cannot see the other groups. Instructors can see all groups.
Page last updated on July 20, 2023 by taralehane