Applications are open for Henley Business Angels, a network of experienced business leaders, successful entrepreneurs and investors who are ready to invest in growing your business.
Henley Business Angels (HBA) aims to facilitate opportunities for members to invest in early stage businesses launched by entrepreneurs who are graduates from, or who are connected with the Henley Business School and the University of Reading.
As well as providing financial support, HBA also provides mentoring and access to other services and networks; it also offers a range of resources and answers to the questions that all entrepreneurs will at some point ask. Since HBA’s establishment four years ago, its members have invested in over 25 companies, including Open Blend, KYMIRA, Medicspot, BeneTalk and OKKO Health.
Jurek Sikorski, Executive Director for Henley Centre for Entrepreneurship, said:
“Members of the HBA network are here to support entrepreneurs leading early-stage businesses who are passionate about what they do, and have ambitions to build large businesses that deliver better ways of doing things to benefit society, the environment and the economy.”
The next deadline for applications is 25 January 2021. While entrepreneurs are invited to apply throughout the year as the applications process remains open continuously, there are quarterly deadlines; if you miss a deadline your application will be rolled over into the next application round.
How to apply
HBA welcomes applications from entrepreneurs who are seeking £50,000 to £250,000 to grow their businesses.
Before applying, entrepreneurs need to:
- Be connected to the University of Reading or Henley Business School – this includes being a graduate of the University
- Have a well-constructed business plan which identifies the need for investment, how much is required and how the money is to be used
- Provide details of the management team, track record, and reasons why they can deliver the business plan, as well as show what investment they have made in the business
- Disclose financial projections and evidence with underlying assumptions
- Include details of their intellectual property (IP) and strategy to protect and develop their IP
- Specify the pre-money valuation (PMV) of their business and how this has been determined
- Describe a clear exit strategy
- Share their pitch deck and cap table.
Applications to HBA are reviewed by a panel that considers the application against a range of investment criteria. While HBA cannot guarantee that every entrepreneur invited for interview will receive investment, the team will endeavour to help the entrepreneur with expert advice and introductions to other sources of finance.
If you would like to apply to HBA for funding, please submit your application with supporting documents – including a business plan – via the apply for funding link. The link will take you to a form on the Gust platform, which you will need to complete and submit. Please note that you will be asked to include a short video clip to support your application.
If you have any difficulties submitting your company details, please refer to the following guide: Guide for Entrepreneurs: How to Apply to Henley Business Angels, or contact Alex Baker.