Rowing to Gold

The University of Reading community celebrated as current student Ed Fuller took to the water to represent Team ParalympicsGB at the Paris Games and took home the gold. 

Ed with teammates, Frankie Allen, Josh O’Brien, Giedrė Rakauskaitė and Erin Kennedy, rowing.
Imagecomms

At just 21 years old, Geography student Ed won gold at the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games in the PR3  Mixed Coxed Four event – alongside teammates Frankie Allen, Josh O’Brien, Giedre Rakauskaite and Erin Kennedy.

Funded by the University of Reading Sporting Excellence Scholarship, Ed shared with CONNECTED how Reading has supported him throughout his journey to Paris and how he feels following his gold medal win.

Overcoming adversity

Ed’s journey to the Paralympics was nothing short of inspiring. Living with haemophilia, a condition that impairs the body’s ability to clot blood, Ed faced significant health challenges from a young age. Ed used a wheelchair for many years throughout his childhood, and continues to require regular injections to manage the blood disorder.

Despite these challenges, Ed was determined not to let the condition hold him back. As he grew up he participated in a range of sports, including hockey, swimming, and cycling, before discovering his passion for rowing while watching the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Captivated by the sport, he soon began training at the Reading University Boat Club, where he spent the last three years refining his skills. Ed said:

“Studying at Reading meant I was able to train with an amazing team of coaches and colleagues who all helped me get to where I am today.

“Winning gold means so much to me, my family and my friends. I have won titles before but finishing first at the Paralympics is the ultimate dream come true. 

“I’m so proud of myself and my team for all our hard work. I would like to thank everyone at the University of Reading for showing faith in me – from being selected for the Sporting Excellence Scholarship to the support shown by my lecturers, coaches and teammates.”

Cheering from the sidelines

Balancing his studies with intensive rowing training, Ed who is originally from Exeter, pursued his degree part-time.

The University of Reading has rallied behind Ed as he prepared for the Paralympics. Ahead of his gold medal success, Professor Stuart Black, Head of the School of Archaeology, Geography, and Environmental Science, shared his enthusiasm: “In SAGES, we wish Ed every success in the Paralympics. We are incredibly proud of his dedication to both his training and his studies.”

Will Rand, Director of Rowing at Reading University Boat Club, also expressed his admiration for Ed’s commitment and perseverance. He said: “Ed has been a complete professional from the first day he started rowing in Reading. He has a natural talent for rowing but he is equally hard working and determined. Every day he inspires us, especially when you think about the challenges he has faced. We’re so proud of Ed representing Reading in Paris!”

We’re also proud to have another medal-winning Olympian in our University community – read Mathilda Hodgkins-Byrne’s story.