technologies for different teaching contexts
Teaching Online in the Autumn Term: Quick Guide
Version 1.2 (Last updated on 08.07.20)
This visual is also available in the following formats:
UNIVERSITY SUPPORTED TECHNOLOGIES
Virtual Learning Environment – Blackboard
- Use Blackboard as the single point of access for students to find essential communications, learning materials, activities and links out to other resources or software.
- What tools can I use in Blackboard?
- Help guides.
Webinars – Blackboard Collaborate & Microsoft Teams Meeting
- Use Blackboard Collaborate and Microsoft Teams Meeting as virtual classrooms to hold live interactive seminars and tutorials with your students.
- What webinar tool do I use?
- How to make online interactive sessions available to students.
- How to run effective webinars with your students.
- Practical Help Guides:
Screencasts – Microsoft PowerPoint & Teams Meeting
- How to make screencasts and convert your lecture materials into short videos.
- Produce a screencast using PowerPoint or record using Teams Meeting.
- Other freely available tools on Windows and Mac can be used. Choose a screencast tool.
- Dedicated Recording Rooms located around Whiteknights campus are available to book.
Video hosting – Microsoft Stream
- Use Microsoft Stream to store, organise and play videos you’ve made for students.
- Upload recordings directly to Stream and make them available to students in your Blackboard module.
- Help guides.
Online Reading List – Talis Aspire
- Use an Online Reading List to curate electronic and print resources for your module.
- Link your reading list to a Blackboard module.
Booking tutorials – Microsoft Bookings
- Request Microsoft Bookings and use it to let students book appointments with you for one-to-one meetings.
- Help guide.
Produce learning materials – Microsoft Office 365
- Use Microsoft 365 tools to produce accessible and well formatted documents and learning materials.
- Use Microsoft Forms to make online surveys and quizzes.
Other tools & resources
- Library e-resources including encyclopaedias, dictionaries maps, images, sounds and video collections.
- LinkedIn learning. Comprehensive range of software, creative and business video tutorials.
- Box of Broadcasts (BoB). Record or find free-to-air UK TV programmes. Only available to watch in the UK.