The University Strategy for Teaching and Learning identified “communities of practice” as key vehicles for informal dialogue with the ‘academic voice’ and for mutual support, for the exchange of ideas and the sharing of good practice between different role groups involved in the whole University teaching and learning agenda.
The Internationalising Student Support COP has been established with the remit to offer opportunities for staff involved with and interested in the development and enhancement of student support and experience in relation to internationalisation; to share best practice and discuss current challenges and opportunities for providing a high quality international student experience for all students. This COP is led by the University’s International Student Adviser in partnership with RUSU’s elected International Students’ Officer and supported by the Associate Dean (Science).
Each meeting focuses on a particular theme and good practice and ideas for improvement on that theme are presented and shared, with the intention of exploring how to disseminate good practice effectively.
The first meeting took place on Wednesday 5 December with the theme ‘Employability’ and attracted 20 members of staff from across the University.
Some of the highlights were:
- Em Sowden, Placement and Development Manager, talked about the demand for international placements from all students particularly in China, Malaysia and India. Em also talked about the new online resource ‘My Jobs Online’.
- Jane Batchelor, Career Development Advisor for the School of Real Estate & Planning and Lilly Mae Liddicott, Head of Industrial Training/Industry Liaison for the Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences both highlighted the value of Alumni involvement. Alumni could be used in a number of ways including mentoring current students and offering evening lectures.
- Organising student-led events, where previous placement students can talk to current students about their own placement experience and how it has benefited them.
Future meetings and their themes are below and bookings can be made via CSTD:
- Tailoring Support for International Students (staff supporting international/EU students)
– Thursday 07/02/2013 – 13.00-14.00
- Integration and Languages (staff supporting all students)
– Wednesday 24/04/2013 – 13.00-14.00