We all have a role to play in taking steps to improve sustainability and protect the environment, making the world a better place to live for all. The University is committed to improving its environmental performance and this relies on everyone within our community playing their part.
Whether your are staff member or a student of the University, why not top up your learning about sustainability and climate change by taking one of the courses listed here to increase your awareness and knowledge of sustainability related topics, as well as providing you with the information to think about what actions you can take to reduce your own environmental impact. For students, some of these courses may even count towards your RED Sustainable Action award. Learning has been correlated with positive effects on well-being, reports of life satisfaction, optimism and efficacy. Participation in lifelong learning has been proven to positively impact your individual well being and resilience.
UoR Short Online Courses - Explore our range of short online courses, some of which are offered in partnership with the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT) and the Royal Meteorological Society (RMetS).
Future Learn Online Courses - Future Learn provides access to thousands of online courses from top universities and specialist organisations, many of which are free to complete for University of Reading staff and students. Simply enrol using your UoR email account:
Staff Sustainability Training
An online training module has been developed to ensure all staff at the University have the skills and knowledge to make a positive environmental impact. The module explains the impact you have on environmental and energy performance, your role in ensuring these impacts are managed, and the importance of doing this. This training is mandatory for all staff, initially as part of induction training when you first join the University, and subsequently you will be requested to complete it again every 3 years. The University also runs a monthly central induction training session for new starters, which is attended by Sustainability Services for a 15 minute face to face slot to present on sustainability at the University. During these sessions we take questions and listen to the sustainability ideas from new staff members.
You can access the online training module by clicking on the link and using your University username and password.
The following topics are included in the training:
- The University’s sustainability vision
- Sustainable travel, for both commuting and business travel
- Energy and carbon management/reduction
- Water management/reduction
- Waste – reduce, re-use and recycle
- Responsible procurement
- Environmental and Energy Management System (EEMS)
- How you can get involved/what you can do
- Sustainability policies, strategies and reports
- Alternatives to travel
- Hazardous waste code of practice
Should you feel you need additional training in areas such as waste, energy, travel or identifying environmental impacts/ risk more generally or specific to your area of work please contact us at email@example.com.
- complete the module when you want and repeat the questions as often as you wish.
- bookmark your progress and return to it when you like.
- complete the module in one session - approximately 30-45 minutes.
Once you have completed the module, your training record through employee UOR Learn will automatically be updated.
Our induction training for students covers a range of forms to ensure that all students are aware of the University's sustainability strategy and policies. This ensures that all students are aware of how they can be as sustainable as possible in their personal and University lives. We use the following channels:
- the University's sustainability strategy and policies feature in Student Life newsletter which is disseminated to all new students in the Autumn. This is supplemented by further timely sustainability messages throughout the year, which goes to all our students.
- Sustainability Services team are present at the significant Welcome Week fayres to talk about sustainability.
- we have printed material available to all students after they have completed the Enrolment process.
- our sustainable action platform for staff and students, Doing UoR Bit, features in the 'apps to download' section sent to all new students.
- we've produced a short 2 minute video on how you can reduce your environmental impact whilst living in Halls of Residence and how best to travel around Reading. Take a look and let us know what you are going to do to help make Reading, a greener, more sustainable place to live! If you need more time to read any of the information, just press the space bar or click anywhere on the video...
Page last updated 20/03/2023