This page provides information on disposing of bulky waste (e.g. furniture) and items not suitable to go in office recycling stations.
At the bottom of this page you can also request delivery of empty confidential waste bags (shredding bags) or request printer/toner cartridge recycling boxes to be emptied.
Please re-use waste items where possible rather than recycling or disposing of them – find out more about re-using things at the University here. For general enquiries about waste disposal please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online Disposal Request
Items such as furniture, full bags of confidential papers, pallets, IT equipment etc. can simply be booked for collection via the Online Disposal Request Form (link on the right of this page). It will then be collected and recycled.
This form is specifically designed for disposal requests - to request assistance from Maintenance, Cleaning or Portering etc. please call the Estates and Facilities Help Desk on extension 7000.
Please note that you must contact email@example.com if you would like to dispose of the following:
- Fridges, Freezers, Chillers - refrigerant gases must be disposed of appropriately.
- Chemicals, paints, oils etc or contaminated items (i.e. generally considered as hazardous
- Large or very heavy items which cannot be easily moved manually (e.g. Workshop machinery).
Hints and tips on completing the Online Disposal Request Form
- Hover your mouse over the [?] icons (do not click!) to display additional help information.
- Please provide as much details as possible, this will help prevent delays in your request being processed and collected.
- Ensure that the project code supplied is correct; invalid or closed codes will result in your request being rejected.
- Charges are made automatically (see below) and once the form is submitted the code cannot be changed.
- Once an item type and sub-type has been selected on the form, details regarding small, medium and large categories will appear. The information will change depending on which category you have chosen.
- Always save your items before clicking submit.
- If you have different categories of items: input all the data for one set of items, click "Save Items" and then select the next "Item Type" category to add more.
- If you have items in different rooms in a building: input all the data for items in one room, click "Save Items" and then change the room information (see "location of item" section) before adding more items.
- If your items are heavy or hazardous please make us aware by ticking the correct boxes and providing more information.
- If you have catering or laboratory items you will need to declare that they are clean and safe to collect - a tick box will appear.
Schools and Functions must cover the cost of disposal of waste items in line with the Waste Recharge Policy. A charge will automatically be made against the code provided on the form for all items specified. Items specified on a disposal request which are not made available for collection, or are incorrectly labelled with the WREN number will still be charged.
Are there charges for items in good condition which could be re-used?
Please offer items in good condition to others using Warp-it; re-homing items using Warp-it is free of charge. However, if your item does not find a home and you would like it removed you will need to complete the online disposal request form. Charges will then apply in line with the above.
Where items in good condition are sent for disposal: the Porters assess them and at their discretion put them in to storage only if there is space available. Where items are "rescued" in this way, the disposal fee paid by the owner covers the subsequent storage and advertisement for re-use. It also covers final disposal, if the item cannot be re-homed. No further charges are made to the owner, and the storage/advertising/disposal is jointly managed by Sustainability Services and Portering.
Personally owned IT equipment
The University provides a service for staff to securely dispose of their personally owned IT equipment via the online shop. Find out more here.
Confidential Waste Bags and Cartridge Recycling Boxes
Request empty confidential waste bags (shredding bags) or empty printer/toner cartridge recycling boxes here: