Hazardous waste and skips

Skip hire

If you are having a clear out, or are moving offices and have a lot of waste to dispose of, we can arrange skip hires.  Charges do change, so contact us for an up to date estimate.  However, please remember to reduce waste by re-using wherever possible - the University has a re-use portal (called Warp-it) and a contract with an equipment reseller (UniGreenScheme).  Find out more about both of these here.

Hazardous Waste

Waste is defined as hazardous waste if it is classified in the European Waste Catalogue (EWC or List of Wastes).

Generally, waste is hazardous if it, or the materials or substances it contains, are harmful to human health or the environment.

There are legal requirements on the University and individuals as a hazardous waste 'producers' under the Hazardous Waste Regulations 2005. Health and Safety Services have produced a Code of Practice in line with legislation for the storage and disposal of hazardous waste: Safety Code of Practice 48: Hazardous Waste.

All hazardous waste must be segregated, handled and stored correctly and securely. It must only be transferred to a University approved and Environment Agency registered waste carrier for carriage and eventual disposal to a site authorised to receive it.

Hazardous waste must NOT be put into the University's general waste collections, whether into an office bin, skip or recycling collection.

Wherever practicable, waste hierarchy principles must be adopted in order to minimise the quantities of hazardous waste generated (as required by the Hazardous Waste Regulations). This includes assessing during the procurement of materials/goods/equipment how hazardous waste might subsequently be produced, and how it will be disposed of.

All consignment notes produced as a result of hazardous waste collections must be sent to Sustainability Services to ensure compliance with current legislation and University Procedures.

Chemical Waste

Two bulk collections of chemical waste are arranged by Sustainability Services during April and September.  Departments can submit their collective chemical waste products for disposal. Accurate identification and listing is a requirement of this service. The cost of the service is charged back to departments according to the types and quantities of waste involved.  Adhoc collections are also available, please contact your local Health & Safety Co-ordinator or email waste@reading.ac.uk for information or copies of the hazardous waste return form.

Biological Waste

Please contact the Biological and Scientific Safety Adviser or your Health & Safety Co-ordinator.

Radioactive Waste

You may only dispose of radioactive waste within the terms of the authorisation from the Environment Agency.  Disposal of radioactive material is managed by  Health and Safety Services, please contact them for advice on extension 8888.

Skip to content